[seul-edu] [Fwd: [school-discuss] evaluation of astronomy apps at opensource schools ...]

Mike Eschman is evaluating astronomy apps for the ISO. He's posting his evals to the schoolforge-discuss mailing list for some reason, so I'm forwarding them here:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [school-discuss] evaluation of astronomy apps at opensource schools ...
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:28:21 -0600
From: mike eschman <meschman@etc-edu.com>
To: School Forge <schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net>
CC: Dave Prentice <prentice@instruction.com>

hello,

dave prentice, can you check out my results too ...

doug asked me to kick off phase 1 isos on the astronomy apps.
i'm checking them out on a redhat 7.3 box that has a full vanilla install, should be pretty "typical".

i have been using xplns as a planetarium app for a bit, it took about 5 minutes to put in, and i was getting good use of the app in less than 15 minutes.

phase 2 is supposed to be install and run, but that's just not how things work around my shop. we're going to try these.

here's my first set of results on our apps.

3D Planetarium - not ready, download link incorrect,
when i got to a good download site (via e-mail hint to the list) --> make instructions do not spell out required customizations.

Astronomia - not ready, under construction.

celestia - bad tar file. inadequate documentation.(tar.gz but no gzip in there)

geomview - good docs, complete. install procedure not straight forward for redhat 7.3. (lesstif ... it scared me off)

hitchhiker - no docs at all, requires specific version of gtk.

Konstellation - installs in a snap, extremely primitive.

Kstars looks great, but the gzip tars (.tar.gz) aren't gzipped, the rpm at freshmeat installed clean, but it can't find cities.dat - web site doesn't say anything about it.

so far, Geomview and Kstars are the only apps that appear to be useable in a "typical" environment. Still, none of these just went in like xplns.

as you suggested, i went to sourceforge and downloaded celestia's 1.2.5 .tar.gz file from sourceforge. install took less than three minutes and went without a hitch. the interface is intuitive so documentation is not an issue. the image catalog - well, i played with it for two hours.

celestia runs a little sluggish on my test box. a 1 gigahertz athalon with 512 meg of ram and a 64 meg video board. but i had 5 or 6 other things going [:-)]

so i'm keeping celestia and will package it with my solor system notes.

and my wife and i are going to play with it tonight.

this made doing the evals worthwhile [:-)]

it's pretty, useful and installs in a snap.

BTW, my initial difficulties stem from the Selu/Edu Application Index having a .tar.gz from Celestia 1.2.0, not 1.2.4, for download, and it was a .gz with no gzip in there.

[eval of nightfall]

this is a serious educational application that installs in a snap. the gnuplots that it produces are suitable for classroom handouts.

i was able to figure out how to use it quickly, but effective use will require thought and preparation. when the solar system series is finished, i think i would like to create a handbook that uses nightfall as a backbone.

the user interface gets an a+.

serious quality software for the classroom.

[eval of open universe]

make fails :

cfglex, undeclared strcpy ???

looks easy to fix, but how many teachers are going to poke their noses in your c code ?

[eval of partiview]

i'll have to come back to this one tonight. we use cvs for our support of us army corps of engineers, but the one time i tried it at a public school district in louisiana, it was a disaster. no one would even give it a try.

the site mentions "branded" tars and zips, so i went to freshmeat and looked for partiview. no soap.

judging by the level of care and detail in the docs, i'm not willing to let this one go. the idea of it makes it a great classroom fit, and it has the fit and finish in the docs that "smell" like pure winner.

[eval of planets: an orbital simulator]

the .tgz is a mistake (i don't know what a .tgz is), but the rpm installed in a snap.

if some physics teacher would write a set of lesson plans using this, you would have a real winner.

[eval of Mars Simulator, orbitview, and planetizer]

i don't do java. maybe someone else can eval these.

personally, i think it is completely wrong-headed to include any apps that use xml or java, both of which are battlegrounds for vendor disputes, in the group's application cd.

[Mike also says Magallanes is Windows only, in spite of what the Sourceforge page says. I'll be removing it from the App Index. Would someone else please evaluate the three java-based apps above? There's nothing wrong with our including java apps on our ISO; it's just another language.]

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu Mark Twain