Re: Having problems with NIS

Robert Hopcroft wrote:

> Daniel Glenn asked:
>
> > Here at White Horse we had some local college students setup our LINUX
>
> > network. They've gone home for the summer, so we're doing things on
> our
> > own. I've spent some time trying to find out how to addusers that can
> be
> > accessed across the whole network, but have been unable to do so.
>
> > We are running RedHat 6.0. I know everything is working, I can log
> into
> > my account from anywhere on the network. But I cannot figure out how
> > add a new user. Where is the file that I modify for this? What do I
> put
> > in? I found the passwd file that linuxconf adds to, but I can't find
> the
> > file that NIS wants.

OK got it wrong in the last message you're using NIS instead of DNS I might
ask why but that's another issue.

etc/hosts contains the data for resolving the hosts on the network but you
need to "synchronize all machines on the network" if you use this. I think
the adduser message before still applies though.

I think the problem with NIS is it's not good if you want to connect the
network to the internet and things in the future or if you wanted to install
an intranet which is probably a good idea in an educational establishment.

Roman.