Re: intranets

About as far as I have gone on the IntraNet line is to get rid of local
bookmarks on the lab machines (infact the file is setup to chmod 611
with a chown root, chgrp root, if I remember right...).  We have a start
page setup (/~student on the web server), with tons of student related
links.

We are looking into a web based email solution for class projects
(combined with a listserver).  Unfortnatly that means breaking yet
another district rule, no student email access.  Heck, when I was
helping a friend setup a high school lab (when I went to that HS,
university High school in Tucson AZ), we had to remove the telnet
client, since students could use that to access their own email
accounts.  Also the proxy server is blocking things like hotmail, and we
are trying to find a way to block intergrated mail (yahoo mail).

We also did an admin script in perl that sets a file +x on the nfs
server.  Every two minutes the clients (via cron) check the atribute of
the file, if it's executable it executes halt, other wise the system
keeps running.  After the file has been executable for 5 minutes, it's
reset back to a state of -x via a cron job on the server.

		Harry