Re: intranets

Harry McGregor wrote:

> About as far as I have gone on the IntraNet line is to get rid of local
> bookmarks on the lab machines (infact the file is setup to chmod 611
> with a chown root, chgrp root, if I remember right...).  We have a start
> page setup (/~student on the web server), with tons of student related
> links.
>
> We are looking into a web based email solution for class projects
> (combined with a listserver).  Unfortnatly that means breaking yet
> another district rule, no student email access.  Heck, when I was
> helping a friend setup a high school lab (when I went to that HS,
> university High school in Tucson AZ), we had to remove the telnet
> client, since students could use that to access their own email
> accounts.  Also the proxy server is blocking things like hotmail, and we
> are trying to find a way to block intergrated mail (yahoo mail).
>
> We also did an admin script in perl that sets a file +x on the nfs
> server.  Every two minutes the clients (via cron) check the atribute of
> the file, if it's executable it executes halt, other wise the system
> keeps running.  After the file has been executable for 5 minutes, it's
> reset back to a state of -x via a cron job on the server.

I don't envy your job here! This is another example of teachers having to
get around often insane district/national policy - it must be very
frustrating especially since communication between students is very
important to their education.

I'd be interested to know why the district has this policy about E-Mail.

But students there are allowed to access local web pages?

If so, do any of the teachers over there have ideas about how content
delivered this way could help in their respective subjects?

Roman.