Re: While of on the subject of ideas for programs.

At 18:28 7/5/99 +0800, you wrote:

>1. There is a huge list of different distributions on
>   http://kernelnotes.org/dist-index.html
>   Some of them even tout getting you on the internet with 1 floppy.
>   I am sure there must be some that more or less fits Mr. Bellville's
>   requirement.

That's a GREAT list! I have used a couple of the floppy disk Linux and some
of them are amazing! One of them, muLinux, allows you to run XWindows, too.
I gave a few to some folks who wanted to learn about Linux without messing
up their home machine.

I guess one of my requirements is finding a XWindows that will run well in
16 MB or less. 16 colors would be good enough for non-Internet
applications. There seems to be a lot of things that could be eliminated to
reduce the footprint.

Also, on the subject of installing from CD-ROM, would actually copying the
filesystem from the CD be an option?  Or, can an image be transferred to
the HD? Once the system has been transferred a script could be run to do
the hardware tweaks if any.

Just for infomational purposes, most of my donations come with 8 MB of RAM.
I'll also assume that most other schools get them this way too. There has
to be a way to slim down XWindows or some alternative GUI to work??? Pardon
me while I wake up from my dream. <grin>

- Rob

 Rob Bellville                              PO Box 515
 rob@acol.com                       Millbury, MA 01527