Re: While of on the subject of ideas for programs.

The lurker wakes up with a loong yawn, and writes:

> Just for infomational purposes, most of my donations come with 8 MB of RAM.
> I'll also assume that most other schools get them this way too. There has
> to be a way to slim down XWindows or some alternative GUI to work??? Pardon
> me while I wake up from my dream. <grin>

Back in the good old days (semester 1995-1996, my first year CS studies)
I ran Linux well on a P90 with 8 Mb of RAM. I used to use XWindows in 8/16bpp
and used emacs, Netscape (3) while compiling stuff. Even compiling the
kernel didn't take that long -- while running X and doing other stuff.
I used fvwm as my window manager. My experience with WindowMaker and
Enlightenment is that they are both resource hogs. On a machine with only
8/16 Mb of RAM the graphical intesity of both is too large for the amount
of memory available.

ramin

--
Ramin Miraftabi			Assistant, Department of Computer Science
ramin@cs.joensuu.fi				    University of Joensuu