Re: New ideas

Robert Hopcroft wrote:

> I've had many thoughts that web site needs some help. I'm glad Roman has gotten us
> to this point. First a visitor to the web site is a customer. How does one treat a
> customer. One helps the customer get the information the customer wants in the
> fastest way posible.

> First the "Current Projects " page.  In all possible cases
> have the project name link to a web page. Keep the description to no more than
> required to let a person know what the project is.

There could be an optional longer description here and if the project doesn't have a
web page then this longer description would do with whatever ftp link there may be.

> Status should start with a word
> like (discussion, design or development) which immedately tells one the general
> class.

You could have nice little icons for this.

> Thus if someone is looking for a running program, they don't waste time
> looking at discussion or design state projects. Finally, I would group the
> projects according to some criteria such as administrative, etc. for two reasons.
> First, I would assume we are going to be successful and thus have many projects.
> Second, it makes it much easier to see a group to determine, "Is anything
> missing?", etc.

> Next, I don't like the name "To Do List". It doesn't give the
> right message. I would prefer something like Doug's suggestion of "Prospective
> Projects".

I would go for Wish List here - it seems to be something of a standard. You could do a
nice heading with this - headings are important - if the text layout's done properly
with simple messages you can really target/impress the reader. I would have some kind
of backend here to allow users to "Make a wish". This would help Doug collect data for
alternatives as well. You see that would be the heading but I can't describe it
properly here. When it comes to headings I like the sort of stuff Verso does. I think
they do the SGI and Lucent Technologies sites.

> I talked to Wil about having the format of the "To Do List" and the
> "Project List" the same.

The format should be the same but maybe with different colours or other graphical
tricks to differentiate in the readers mind. Colour coding's a good way of locating
and assimilating information quickly and easily.

> I would think this would make things simpler. For
> example, one could use the same submit layout. However, Wil wants things as they
> are for reasons I haven't been able to understand. Speaking of the submit layout,
> it should be relocated, perhaps to the seul-edu home page. No one will find it
> where it is.

I would make key sections accessible from everywhere.

I think if we get away from this very technical terminology because we want to attract
teachers and parents as well. I might suggest that software in the design stage isn't
in the projects list and that we have a "Drawing board". So that users can "See what's
on the drawing board." It sounds much more friendly and humane - I think more people
with different backgrounds could identify with that sort of language.

We'd do a French translation as well.

> The "Software List" should also be grouped by category. A set of
> desireable characteristics (such as intended ages) should be determined so that
> one can immediately see them.

Yes good idea.

> The software links that are currently in the "Links
> Worldwide" should be on a separate web page with a link from the bottom of the
> "Existing Software" page with a heading such as "Links to additional software".

I think links would need to be categorised. Links for education, for programmers, for
projects etc. Then it'd be easier for different people with different interests to
travel.

> Seul-edu home page should contain either the information or a link to the
> information on how to do things pertaining to seul-edu (such as how to submit a
> project). One should not have to ask the list. One wants things as efficient as
> possible.

> Same goes for things pertaining to seul itself such as how to use CVS.
> They should be linked from the seul home page. I've seen much better "subscribe "
> sections as well as many other things. For starters.

I think we all agree that there's much more content to be put up there to support new
and future subscribers/user of SEUL-EDU. We need to give programmers information on
teaching and we need to give teachers information about technology. We need to give
everyone information on how to get involved - and above all what a nice lot we are and
how we really want to get to know them.

> Bob
>
> PS On IRC, it's my understanding that one has to be careful on security issues.

  When I was at University there was a nasty middle aged woman who walked around the
computer labs with piercing dark eyes looking for people on IRC. If you were
caught..... Which just added to the excitement really. But people rarely got caught
because all the people using the IRC would inform eachother as to which room she was
heading to next.

Isn't it possible - Wil - to have some sort of communications server running on the
SEUL backend autonomously? If so, that would sort a lot of problems.

Roman.