Re: While of on the subject of ideas for programs.

Kyle Burton wrote:

> How about a flash card application -- using two networked linux boxes, both
> running X windows, you could have a program run on the teacher's workstation
> (where the student[s] can not see the monitor), have it display a flashcard
> with the picture/question/whatever (along with the answer), and have the
> same thing (minus the answer) display on the student's X server.
>
> This is something you could not easily do with Windows.  It is something
> you could very easily do with Linux/Unix/X Windows.
>
> You could have alot of variations on it...have it keep a tally of the student's
> answers (right/wrong), display multiple choice, and track the student's
> response (a b c d or e, have the student choose their answer, and score
> them on it).  For math, you could build questions/euqations that have
> numeric answers, and have the students enter them right into the gui.
>
> Now that I'm thinking about it, you could probably take this even further,
> and develop an automated, network based testing system for an entire classroom.
> The tests/questions/answers could stay safely on the teacher's pc, and the
> software could do the display on the student's pcs -- so even savy student's
> would'nt be able to get at the test answers.  Tie this in with gbook, or
> whatever other grading system, and you've just removed a bunch of overhead/work
> from the teacher.
>
> geez, that could be cool.

I think the automated version would be the best option.

I expect that this would need a lot of design work beforehand and hence would be a
long project.

If you're looking for something to do in the meantime I've got no shortage of
little projects.

All the best,

Roman.