Multimedia and Linux Re: wow - it's busy

Hello,

we have rather lively discussion going on.

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Malonowa wrote:

>I think we can say that translating VB is out.
>
>But TCL looks interesting - how many teacher's and pupils could learn
>enough of TCL to make good use of it? TCL will need to be extended if we
>want to use it for multimedia authoring. Then there's the problem with
>Linux itself - no good multimedia framework at all.

There is also Perl/Tk... And it is easier  that  Tcl/Tk,  IMHO.
But  I  agree  that  Linux  lacks  freeware  multimedia   tools
comparable   in   easiness-to-use   to   HyperCard   /SuperCard
/HyperStudio.

>As much as Linux advocates would like to deny it Windows, Mac, Irix etc.
>surpass Linux in this area. Linux is just a stinky pile of poo when it
>comes to a multimedia API.

But does OS kernel need to have multimedia API? (Yes,  in  some
cases this is needed to provide real-timeness, but in
servicing multimedia there is nothing special.)

>There ae real problems here. People seem to forget that whilst Linux has
>got a few years behind it now - it's still in its infancy compared to other
>platforms. It certainly makes my life difficult.

>So if we want apps and we want ported apps too then we have to think about
>ways of helping people write and port the software which uses more advanced
>facilities than the stuff available on Linux right now.

There is a hope that multimedia will be based on a  web-browser
in future and will be based on open standards.

>Roman.
Nice to meet my namesake here :-)

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
Russia * Karelia * Petrozavodsk * rnd@rsuzi.pgu.karelia.ru
* Friday, July 09, 1999 * Powered by Linux RedHat 5.1