Hosting oses.org

> malonowa@wanadoo.fr said:
> > oses.org home page says it needs someone to host the site. Seul will
> > host most things so speak to Roger or Doug.
>
> We're in the lucky position of having to offers for hosting already :-). I
> need to update this page...

I figured I'd make Roman's offer official. I'd be happy to host oses.org on
the seul.org machines. Our goals are to make Linux a more suitable operating
system for 'normal people', as well as to increase awareness of the benefits
of choosing free software.

We're hosting and supporting a variety of projects that are moving in this
direction (look at http://www.seul.org/pub/hosting.html, tho that's missing
gperiodic and settlers currently). Having such a collection of educational-
and end-user-oriented groups means that they can work together, share ideas,
users, developers, publicity, etc. Consolidating some of the widely varied
groups and projects out there helps everybody involved, both because it
becomes easier to find what you're looking for and also because it helps to
reduce redundancy between projects.

Of course, a side-benefit that I get from this is that oses.org ends up
with a bit more of a pro-Linux slant, because more of the people looking
at the project will be pro-Linux. Similarly, more people looking at oses.org
will be encouraged to find out what this Linux thing is all about.

The two primary seul machines are located at MIT, with a stable T3
connection to the rest of the world. There are other seul or seul-related
machines with varying benefits and bandwidths (tolkien.seul.org is in
Arkansas co-located with an ISP, vodka.seul.org aka linuxkb.org is a
PII/450 hosted by Navisite (the same people who host altavista), etc),
but so far most seul activity fits just fine on the two machines at MIT.

Anyway, that's the summary for you. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Thanks,
--Roger