Why EDUML?

By working on EDUML, I offer to others that which I want for myself:

When I set out to learn something, I would like to set what my particular
educational goal is, and have the network keep track of what I have
accomplished and still have to accomplish.

I want to get up in the morning and the first page I see on my browser (be it
a palm pilot, webTV, dick tracey watch, plain old telephone service servicing
VoxML page translations, output from my fax, or an old fashioned Pentium III
desktop computer) is what are my options for the day. If my current goals are
to get an A in Math 12, and to be recognized as a junior naturalist by the
local Parks Board, then I should see what classes are available to me this
day, which mentors I am scheduled or able to schedule time with, and which
MOO/IRC sessions are available for me on this topic today. I should also see
a link to a mastery test for the current unit I am studying (say
trigonometry) in Math 12, a link to a relevant exercise requiring use of Dr
Geo, as well as a listing of currently available (and annotated) books and
magazine articles on the topic in my local public libraries' branches as well
as the library of the high school I am registered with. Ditto for the
naturalist goal but likely coming from different sources. For exercises
requiring daily or fortnightly review or revisiting, they would show up on
the right day on that day's page (I am thinking here particularly of
supermemo-style reviews based on neurological time sequences for optimal
memorisation www.supermemo.com)

A bar graph showing my progress to date would be a nice touch. Estimated time
of completion based on the rate of my accomplishments to date would also be
great.

In other words, I want the institutions that I register with to provide me
with the stuff, the connections available to me on this day to combine their
information together with what is generally available GPL-style to everyone
ont the net, and in the local "commons" ... all on one page that I can print
out or work with througout the day allowing me to efficiently progress
towards my goal.

No two "students" would ever have quite the same page even if their goals are
identical ... unless perhaps if they live in exactly the same area and
proceed at the same pace, and have similar learning styles.

In order to realize this dream, we need a common data interface between all
programs (proprietary or local to certain instutions, as well as public and
available to all).  This is the reason why I am excited about EDUML. (or
something similar: an XML for education).

total EDUML-compliance could also be used by selected counsellors and parents
to get a good big picture view of how a student is doing in order to provide
relevant advice. For everybody else, the information should be strongly
private.  The information could be dispersed in several databases across
several institutions and put together as a single page only by the person
holding the keys to each one simultaneously.

It is unecessary to struggle for pure EDUML applications.  However, it
is reasonable to write format translators (proprietary format to EDUML and
sometimes the other way around) for every educational application that
maintains some state about the user's achievements.   That is all that is
needed for this dream to come true.  :-)

Bruno

http://cran.seul.edu/~vernier/eduml/eduml.xml