Re: gperiodic-1.1.1 packaged, now working on isetl

On Sun, Jul 11, 1999 at 05:39:26PM -0700, jim@mercury.laney.edu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> gperiodic is packaged and lintian-clean. Lintian checks for common policy
> problems. I also uploaded it to debian; it'll be a few days I think.

Cool!

> Now, on to isetl:
>
> I noticed isetl in "existing software", however there is no linux port.
> Well, I just ported it. It's working basically, except I don't know setl!
> Anyone know it?

Unfortunately,  at this moment I don't have an access to a linux machine
(actually, I have one, using it right now, but it is extremely small, no
space for even a compiler, not to speak about X11).  In a few weeks, I am
going to move, and hopefully after that I'll have an oportunity to give
isetl a spin.

Do you have some more detailed list of changes you did?  Eventually,
your linux version should be coordinated with other versions.  I have
the address of the person responsible for the windoze version somewhere,
maybe we can contact them.

> Platforms I tested my version on: debian slink i386, debian potato
> i386, sparc, dec alpha. All perform similarly, but some show more
> compiler warnings than others; I'll clean those up soon.

As I said, I don't have a linux with a compiler right now, but I could
give it a try on solaris.  I'll let you know how it works.

> And note: isetl may be a tough C project to port (a programming
> language?!?  that's gotta be tough!), but it's a dead simple package
> (single binary, and I'll have to dig up a man page somewhere).  So,

I don't have a man page, never seen one, but I do have some html doc
available at http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/%7Elahvak/software/isetl/ .
I don't remember where I got them, probably the oficial isetl site.
Now when I think about it, they probably are not even in html, just
plain ASCII.

> I'm gonna package it soon...
>
> I'll put the -source- (unpack it, cd in there, make clean, make gcc) at:
>
>   http://www.debian.org/~jwl/isetl/

Doesn't seem to be there yet.  I'll try tomorrow.

The whole thing sounds great.  I came after a while of absence, found
all this discussion about logo going on, and now this :).

--
Jan Hlav\'{a}\v{c}ek
lahvak@math.ohio-state.edu  (Blind Carbon Copies will bounce)