Re: Squeak as HyperCard

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 01:29:41 -0500, "Ian Bicking" <bickiia@earlham.edu> wrote:

>> Although I don't think explicitly mentioned, I've always figured that
>> seul-edu was directed at education from birth until entry to college.
>
> That's what I figured.  But it might make sense to make that
> explicit... is there a seul-edu manifesto or anything?

The closest thing is the posting that automatically gets sent to the list at
the beginning of every month.  You should be able to see that at the top of
this month in our email archives.  Should we put this into some form and
include it on our website?

>> > Basic should definately be included on the list.
>> >
>> Much as we would prefer it to be otherwise, you're right.  Any thoughts
>> on which Basics are most useful in an educational setting?
>
> I've only played with Basic on Linux because a couple
> implementations are included with Debian, and it's so darn easy to
> install them that I could hardly resist.
>
> I could look them over, assuming no one else has strong opinions
> or experience with Basic on Linux.  I'd be surprised if anyone did...
>
> There'd be a couple questions: compatibility with other Basic
> implementations (GW-Basic/BasicA, QuickBasic, PowerBasic...)
> so people could port old programs they might have made; language
> features along the lines of graphics and other interfaces; and the
> theoretical niceness of the language, which Basic has always been
> poor at, but in which there is a lot of variation (for instance, line
> numbers).

The question of the purpose of the Basic implementation comes up here.  Is it
primarily for porting previously written software to Linux, or is it for new
program development and training in programming.  For the former, compatability
is of most importance; for the latter, features are more important.  I'd say we
should go for the porting requirement mostly, as there are many better ways to
teach programming under Linux than with Basic.

>> > Then there's potential directions in languages, like Boxer and
>> > ToonTalk, which deserve pointers from seul-edu even if they can't
>> > be run on Linux.
>> >
>> We'll have to think carefully about how to point to things that can't be
>> run on Linux.
>
> I think it would be good to have two sets of information on
> languages -- one directed towards teachers, another directed
> towards (potential) developers.  The one towards teachers would be
> more like a survey of current programs available, while towards
> developers you'd want to talk about potential directions and
> designs.
>
> Probably mirrored in the difference between current
> projects/programs and prospective projects.

This sounds like a good approach.

Doug Loss            Always acknowledge a fault.  This will throw
dloss@csrlink.net    those in authority off their guard and give
(570) 326-3987       you the opportunity to commit more.
                        Mark Twain