Re: Squeak as HyperCard

> > There'd be a couple questions: compatibility with other Basic
> > implementations (GW-Basic/BasicA, QuickBasic, PowerBasic...)
> > so people could port old programs they might have made; language
> > features along the lines of graphics and other interfaces; and the
> > theoretical niceness of the language, which Basic has always been
> > poor at, but in which there is a lot of variation (for instance, line
> > numbers).
> >
> The question of the purpose of the Basic implementation comes up here.  Is it
> primarily for porting previously written software to Linux, or is it for new
> program development and training in programming.  For the former, compatability
> is of most importance; for the latter, features are more important.  I'd say we
> should go for the porting requirement mostly, as there are many better ways to
> teach programming under Linux than with Basic.

Well, there's two kinds of things to be ported -- old programs and
old knowledge.  If a teacher knows how to teach a Basic course,
they might be reluctant to change languages (or textbooks, or
whatever).  And if they have experience teaching Basic, they might
teach a better class than if they taught Logo or C without any
experience.

Anyway, I wouldn't profer Basic as a prospective project.  But other
people already thought it was worth doing, so all we'd need to do is
describe what they did.  Seul-edu should be seen as enabling,
rather than prescribing.

--
Ian Bicking <bickiia@earlham.edu>