Re: Another introduction

Marshal Anderson wrote:

> I'm new to this group and thought I'd dive in and say hi. Looking through
> the archives I get the impression that this is a quite technically based
> group and I'm coming from a different direction.
>
> We're interested in maybe versioning one or two of our programs for Linux so
> really I'm here with a watching brief while we decide what to do.
>
> I have no idea of the current state of Linux in schools world wide,
> certainly is rare as rocking horse droppings in the UK. Any outline of the
> current situation would help.

Welcome, Marshal.  Take a look at our Links page for some info on Linux
in schools in various parts of the world.  In particular, the AFUL site,
the Linux für Schulen site, and the ScholarNet site.  I know there is
some effort in the Philippines toward getting more Linux systems in
schools--I've invited some of the people mentioned in hte report I saw
about that to join us here, and I believe at least one has.  There are
undoubtedly more, and we're trying to link to as many as we can
discover.

> If anyone wants to see what I've done visit http://www.marshal.co.uk and
> topologika is as http://www.topologika.com - I'd be especially interested in
> views on the kind of software that goes down well within the Linux community
> and thoughts on the viability of our current packages.

I like the look of your prospective books, "Keeping Really Dangerous
Pets" and "The Big Book of Lies."  Good luck in finding an outlet to get
them to the world.  As for the kind of software that the linux community
goes for, I think what we're looking to do here is to
create/discover/encourage the kind of software for Linux that the
educational community goes for and to thereby expand the Linux community
to include the educational community too.  I've browsed the Topologika
website and I like the looks of your programs, but as I'm not a teacher
I doubt that my opinion on their viability would be particularly
helpful.