Re: Your Mission (should you choose to accept it)

> I think that the basic premise that there can be some identifiable
> educational purpose (from a pedagogical pov) to using Linux rather than W98,
> RISC OS, System 8 orwhatever is flawed.

I think there are two ways in which Linux is fundamentally different
from these other systems.  (I'm kind of guessing about RiscOS,
since I only know a little about it)

First, Linux is multiuser.  This isn't a difficult or novel feature, but it
is completely missing from educational computing.  I can't fathom
why.  The number of things that would be eased and troubles that
would be avoided are tremendous.  The little problems bog people
down so that they don't have the time or the will to take computer
use just a little bit further, even though I think that little extra
distance is the point when computers have the chance to really
pay off.

Second, Linux is built (mostly) on Free Software (free speach, but I
think free beer is important too).  This gives schools the ability to
share what they create or fund, knowing that their effort is
cumulative with others'.  Free Software doesn't go backwards
because someone else can always carry the torch if necessary.  In
my fantasy world, this leads to a situation where schools are in
charge of the computers and software, not software companies
(this sounds like it's already more true in the UK than the US, but
still).  Marketing falls away in the wake of fluid exchanges of this
software and a culture of doing things the Right Way.  Okay,
maybe it won't happen, but it's something to work towards.  Even a
spiffy (proprietary) platform doesn't offer me a good dream, just
something that is a little better.  This is just a dream at this point,
and a far-fetched one at that, but so was GNU in the beginning.

Of course, the second aspect is much less compelling to someone
looking to port proprietary software, but I think even the Open
Source effort to make all infrastructure free applies as well, while
leaving space for proprietary software.

> What we're talking about is the use
> of ICT as a means to (hopefully) enhance the learning experience of students
> in the broadest sense; the os such systems run in, or the language they are
> written in is /largely/ irrelevant. Some points that are relevant will be
> the stability of the system, compactness of code, ability to access many
> forms of media easily etc. However, from the student's point of view these
> are invisible. 50% or so of children in the UK use Acorns in school but have
> PCs at home. Their attitudes towards these machines is not overtly based on
> the OS, but on the software available.

I think, in part, this is due to a flaw in educational software.  I'm not
sure of the entire reasoning behind it, but many educational
programs use their own novel interfaces with controlled
environments that only interface with the rest of the computer in
limited fashion.  This offers an easier interface and directs the
student, but it also leads to many a confusing, buggy interface and
a stifling environment.

Just as people will probably notice more differences when using
different web browsers on the same OS than the same browser on
different OSes, so too do educational programs seem independant
of the operating system.  Some people think this is a great
direction (ala Java), but I think it misses something very
fundamental -- if the OS is incidental to the application, the
application will have taken on many of the roles of the OS.  But the
OS does not do trivial operations, nor is there one obvious or
compelling way to do these operations.  There is real room for
differentiation between operating systems because they do real
work.  Applications that subsume the operating system overstretch
themselves, do not answer the questions posed as thoughtfully,
and do not tie into the overall advancement of CS.

So, those are my thoughts.

--
Ian Bicking <bickiia@earlham.edu>