Re: Open Books and XML

> 1. Just how do you expect the content of these textbooks to be produced? If
> "Open Source" textbooks were a viable option economically, wouldn't we have
> seen them develop with the Xerox machine, much as "black line masters" has
> developed into a market for some kinds of worksheets. There are reasons why
> free and Open Source code has developed in the software world. What
> analogous reasons will motivate writers to write high-quality textbooks for
> free? Robert's earlier comment that "On the textbook side all we have to do
> select a set of topics,
> create an outline for each and get people to fill in the pieces" seems to
> treat as easy the piece of the work that seems to me much harder than
> picking XML or some other publishing standard.

Making a high-quality textbook doesn't seem much harder than
making a high-quality program.  Textbooks often come out of
academic circles which share hackers' desire to spread information
freely.  It at least seems possible that textbook-writing sorts of
people will want to participate in something like this.  The
corporatizing of acadamia doesn't help any...

As I think about it more, the similarities with programming circles
go further.  I think much of the reason for the large amount of
volunteer effort that has gone into free software is that there are lots
of individual programmers with lots of ideas that they want to
express and share.  Normal routes don't allow them to do this --
they become subsumed by teams and corporations.  This is why
there are so many people who program for a living all day, then
come home and program some more in a volunteer fashion.

Similarly, in teaching circles there are lots of teachers who have
interesting and novel ideas and a passion for their work and
subject.  However, there are few outlets for them to produce and
share work with others.  Yes, they'd have to teach all day then
come home and think about teaching more.  But isn't this fairly
common among (good) teachers already?

The current situation with computers is quantitatively different than
the situation with Xerox machines -- but I think it crosses an
important threshold that changes the effect qualitatively.  Texts
contained on computers can be distributed more easily (via the
internet and CDs) and, as importantly, can be modified.  More than
price, modification seems one of the more interesting possibilities
of Open Source textbooks.

In particular, any subject will be related to other subjects, requiring
some background knowledge.  When this intructional information
already exists it can be included in the new textbook with little
effort, while still representing the related knowledge thoughtfully
(presumably because the original author considered the subject of
primary importance where to the secondary author it is an aside).

Of course, including it verbatim wouldn't make a good textbook.
The information should be refocused to the subject at hand.
Modification is necessary, but it's all that's necessary, while in
normal practice it would need to be rewritten.

Keeping a textbook current is also a large project.  Many a good
textbook has fallen by the wayside because it wasn't maintained
by its authors.  Just as with free software, a good book can be
maintained regardless of the will of the authors, reducing the
redundancy of effort and increasing the quality of textbook offerings.

> 2. As regards printed texts ... how cheap is it really to print a text from
> CD? I use 3 cents per page *variable cost* (that is, not amortizing the
> printer itself) in my work calculations, and I'd guess about a nickel a page
> counting the wear and tear on the printer. This makes a 200 page book cost
> about $10 to print in unbound form, in black and white only ... plus labor
> costs. Add in labor for printing, labor and materials for binding, and the
> higher cost of color if that's needed or desired ... and I really doubt
> there's much future in schools printing copies of their own texts.

You're right, printing texts on-site isn't a good idea.  However, a
textbook that is freely redistributable can be printed by any knock-
off press that cares to put the effort into it.  It commoditizes the
printing process, which reduces the price dramatically.  I think
Cheapbytes is great... I'd love to see something similar for books.  I
think it would be quite possible.

There was talk for a while of FSF setting up something to print free
books (technical documentation in this case) at cost, or close.  I
don't know what will come of this -- there seems to be commitment
by the FSF to do more about documentation, but it might not end
up extending to the actual printing process.  But if this matures in
that direction, maybe there'd be a place for textbooks too...?  Or at
least a model upon which to base it.

And of course it's still possible to read something on the computer,
which isn't a very complete solution, but is something.

> The focus I've seen on this list up to now has been the development of
> software that uses the strengths of computers as interactive, responsive
> tools to promote learning. This idea seems to abandon the real strengths of
> computers, instead chasing illusory, or at best marginal, financial savings
> by using computers as printing presses and hoping the content gets created
> by people who don't need to be paid for the difficult work of writing well.
> Perhaps we should, in this area, concentrate on ways that computer-based
> text presentation can improve learning (e.g., by including the links that
> the printing method requires one to omit).

Information distribution is something that computers have shown
themselves to be very good at.  Not just the internet -- under every
proprietary piece of information there is a computer, even if it turns
into paper at some later point in the process.  I think a direction
that has a lot of possibilities, though like anything it will take a lot
of dedication to get it started and get past the initial skepticism,
lack of interest, lack of results, and everything else that makes a
person doubt.

--
Ian Bicking <bickiia@earlham.edu>