Re: Promath

Robert Hopcroft wrote:

> First I want to mention that I have started work on developing some math
> quiz material but that's for another post.

:-)
(waiting for your post)

> However it did raise a
> question and I want to make sure I'm getting things right. The student
> will see a question to be answered or explored. The question is not
> restricted to text only, but could involve a sketch of a geometric
> figure. This raises the issue of displaying the geometric figure with
> labels etc. In some cases, it would be very helpful for the student to
> be able to rotate the figure, especially for 3D objects.
> Ok, it sounds to me like the student will start out seeing a web page.
> Forgive me if I'm dense, but what's stopping the student from turning
> off the teacher and going and doing what the student feels like?

Forgive me if I'm answering late, and forgive me in advance if I
misunderstand your thoughts or questions.

In Promath there is a marking. There is also a log-file. I assume it
will be enough to convince most students to work properly.

> Is the
> student using an X-terminal or a computer acting as an X-terminal?

yes, any, any web client

> If so
> where do web pages come in?

Any browser. At least I would like it to be so.

> If web pages, does the student get them by
> using a web browser and URL's. If so what's stopping the student from
> picking any URL the student feels like?

Students get first URL from teacher. Then it happens all by itself...

> I guess what I'm really trying
> to get at, does the teacher have absolute control or does it depend on
> the benevolence of the students. I guess I'm thinking in terms of some
> of the US schools where they don't even try to teach just keep order. A
> successful school year is when nobody gets killed.

I know exactly what you're talking about :-(
The point is : if they are not-at-all-benevolent, you will not be able
to use Promath with them.
Yet if there is even a small lightning of understanding, then with
Promath you will be able to support their effort because the
quizz-machine will concentrate on what they actually _can_ do.

>  Anyway getting back
> to the web page on the students computer. Can the student interact with
> the web page by being able to rotate an object

why not ?
I haven't implemented such a feature yet, but I see no particular
limitation on how the problems and questions should be displayed to the
student

>  or only obtain a new web
> page from the teacher. Anyway, Odile would it be useful if I acted as
> the secretary and kept notes as to where discussions are at. Now that I
> have learned how to get text onto a web page, I could put something
> together from the discussions and you could link to it or copy it over
> to your web page or whatever you would like..

ok, I will be glad to copy your contribution on the web site, either on
my personal web pages, or on the seul-edu directory

>  I just noticed that the
> "return" at the very bottom of the Promath web page is a broken link.

well thanks...
You know I've been working with rather pre-historical ways, because of
lack of time, and too much loneliness
I'll have a look at it, and next time I'll use "weblint"

--
Odile Bénassy,
"http://perso.magic.fr/obenassy"