Re: [seul-edu] Re: Kid's game engine

jm wrote:

> Why would you code a game-engine in python  instead of C  ?

Because, as I said, it's been quite a while since I've done any major
programming, and Python looked like an easier language to pick up quickly than
all the necessary C library calls.  If anyone else wants to jump in on this, I'll
be happy to follow his or her lead.  So long as they don't expect major amounts
of code from me quickly.

> Not that I want to start a flamewar on language,
> but if you use a "generic" Graphic Lib (like SDL)
> and a generic "sound Lib" (like the new OpenAL)
> and an xml-data for the game format
> what not just coding the engine in C (aka SPEED)
> and add some python support for "customized" IA for game...

All of that sounds about right, but doesn't indicate any specific language for
development (all those libs are available for multiple languages, I'm pretty
sure).  As for speed, would raw speed be a concern for a program like this, which
won't be a realtime arcade-style game?

> As a sidenote, you might want to give a look at this:
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2000/06/30/magazine/mozilla_game.html
> a game done with the "mozilla" tools (aka xml, dhtml...) which is also a
> way to be portable.

I did look at that, but since the idea for this engine is currently fairly vague
I wasn't sure just how applicable it would be.

--
Doug Loss                 God is a comedian playing
Data Network Coordinator  to an audience too afraid