Re: [seul-edu] Math teachers...

Hi All,

Replying to myself now - weird :) Anyway, I received the list of what
was purchased already wrt math software. Surprisingly, none of it is
what I expected - it's all "simulation" software, designed (I suppose)
to teach real world skills. They have, as of yet, no "pure" math
packages. I would think this should be fairly easy to deal with. Anyway,
here's the list, with some commentary along the way.

All of the software was purchased from a company called CW Publications
(http://www.cwpub.com/) - but don't bother checking out their web site
unless you have a fast connection - apparently the web designer has
never heard of text, as everything on every page is pure graphics - even
price lists and such - ugh.

Anyway, the list, with a description of the product from the site, and
comments if I have any:

1) Bulls & Bears - An Investment Math Challenge
	Your Students can become high rollers on Wall Street by solving
problems about stock, bond, real estate, and commodity investments.

Suggested Replacement: Invest Smart - Stock Market Simulation
	This interactive educational stock and mutual fund simulation uses real
stock and mutual fund delayed quotes from the major US exchanges such as
NYSE, AMEX, and NASDAQ. All of our services are FREE to users.
	Lesson plan are available, as well as the ability for teachers to guide
groups of students as a class, and monitor progress.

	Web Based, so OS doesn't matter. Students will also be able to access
the site from home.

http://library.thinkquest.org/10326/market_simulation/index.html

Click on the "Educator" Links for more info on using in a classroom.

2) Big Al's Discount City - A Shopping Math Challenge
	Big Al is going to make your students some great deals they can't
refuse if they can compute unit price, cash price, sales tax, discounts,
mark ups, correct change, and more.

Suggested Replacement: None yet.

3) The Auto Store
	In this simulation, your students will be shopping for a new or used
vehicle. They'll view the cars and trucks at the dealerships, compare
leasing to buying, compare financing, shop for auto insurance, and
finally buy or lease a vehicle that fits their budget. They can print
out a financial summary to turn in.

Suggested Replacement: Teaching :)
	I know of no other simulations in this regard, but there are certainly
plenty or resources online that would making finding the data for this
type of project a breeze. Suggested URL's include:

	http://www.carsdirect.com/
	http://www.edmunds.com/
	http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/clarkhoward/cliffnotes/cars.html

4) For Rent
	In this simulation, your students will be renting a place of their own
that fits their housing budget. They'll view the available properties,
shop for renter's insurancvee, and finally sign a lease. They can print
out a financial summary to turn in.

Suggested replacement: None yet.

5) On Your Own

Comments: This appears to be a truly complete simulation, addressing all
of the issues above plus more, such as finding a job, building a budget,
etc. If someone wanted a challenging project to work on, I think this
would be the one here. Hmmm. Wonder how much free time I really have...

Anyway, that's the list - if you have suggestions for replacements for
any of these packages, please let me know. I'm also still interested in
other, "pure" math packages that teachers are using under Linux.

Thanks for your help!

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator