RE: [seul-edu] Math teachers...

Individual skills run through simulators can be a lot of fun.  Back in high
school we did a stock market simulation.  Everyone started out with some
funny money and was allowed to use it to participate in any of the
securities covered in the Wall Street Journal and/or NYT.  Since real life
daytraders do most of their work through a PC, it can be a reasonable
facsimile of real life.

Many other tasks just aren't real enough for kids to learn much from.  There
is no sense of consequence.  They don't feel like they're part of the
experience.  Apartment shopping, for example, just can't be simulated on a
computer.  You have to walk through, look at the apartment, ask questions,
touch things.  This is way too much (at least in this day and age) to
simulate.

In advocating the use of Linux in schools, it is important to understand the
limitations of the technology.  Be quick to point out the things that Linux
is great at, and be realistic when dealing with things that Linux (or any
other platform for that matter) would be bad at dealing with.  Be objective.
And be ready to concede "I'm sorry, but the technology just isn't there to
provide a rich learning experience for this particular skill".

Chris Hedemark
System Administrator
Billions of Operations Per Second, Inc.
6340 Quadrangle Drive, Suite 210
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
email: hedemark@bops.com <mailto:hedemark@bops.com>
"It is better to be criticized by a wise person than to be praised by a
fool!" - Ecclesiastes 7