RE: [seul-edu] Math teachers...

Let's back up here a moment.  What I am about to say is going to challenge
what most of you may take for granted.  But hopefully you're open minded to
consider the ramifications of it objectively.

What is the purpose of school?

How is that purpose best served?

Teaching pure math has its place.  But the end test of whether or not
teachers have done right by there students is when students go into the real
world and have to face practical applications of what they've learned in
school.  What good has school done me if I've gotten to Trig 2 but don't
know how to amortize a mortgage?

Teaching the pure skills is something that math teachers will always have to
do.  But teaching practical applications of skills, even basic skills, is
something that should always happen through all levels of education.

Chris Hedemark
System Administrator
Billions of Operations Per Second, Inc.
6340 Quadrangle Drive, Suite 210
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
email: hedemark@bops.com <mailto:hedemark@bops.com>
"It is better to be criticized by a wise person than to be praised by a
fool!" - Ecclesiastes 7