Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Re: Language to teach 10 year olds]

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote:

> I personally *loath* any visual programming language, and much more the
> so-called
> the graphical languages, some of them with a good reputation, why ?
>
> Programming is sometimes like climbing a pyramid, once you've filled a
> level you have to start the next upper level,
> graphical languages have a limited number of resources, so the number
> of  pyramid levels is very limited.

I don't completely disagree with you, Manuel, but remember that we're talking
about 10 year olds here.  It might be a pretty good idea to let them make a
graphical representation of the program and then attach actions and data to the
various elements.  Once they get adept enough that they're bored with that, you
can introduce more rigorous, powerful languages.

--
Doug Loss                 Always do right.  This
Data Network Coordinator  will gratify some people