Re: [seul-edu] please help if possible

On Friday 11 July 2003 00:50, Yishay Mor wrote:
> There's http://tikiwiki.sourceforge.net/ and there's
> http://www.twiki.org/. I'm assuming you meant the latter, which is the
> more popular. Correct?

Dennis' comment about photo galleries suggests tiki
(http://tikiwiki.sourceforge.net).

However, before deciding on the few mentioned so far, I would suggest Lindsay
goes to http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php.  It is essentially a demo
site for over 50 different open-source or free CMS systems that run on PHP
and mysql.  As such it misses a few good CMS systems (like Plone - which is
Python/Zope based) but otherwise covers quite a substantal number of them.

One of the key features that you will need to decide upon is whether you wish
to have a workflow / approval process.  Some of the CMS systems (Plone for
example) allow you to distinguish between writing content and allowing it to
be 'published' (ie, go live on the site).  Essentially there are (at least) 3
types of users.  'Guests' only get to look at public (published) content.
'Authors' are allowed to submit content for publication, but it does not
automatically get put up on the site.  'Editors' review submitted articles,
and determine if it is okay to 'publish' (ie, go live).

Many CMS systems (and Wiki systems in general) do not allow for this
distinction.  In general in a Wiki, content goes live the moment someone has
finised writing it.  What makes sense for you all depends on how much control
you wish to have over what content gets published, and how much to trust your
authors.  If you don't care what gets up, or if the only people authoring
directly on the site are your editors (ie, everyone else sends a email to an
editor) then it does not matter.  However, if you wish to use the site as
part of the content submitting process, but you still want control over what
gets 'published', then it does matter.

Personally, I have installed and tested and liked Plone, Tiki, e107 and TWiki,
although I would not really suggest TWiki for an online newspaper.  Any of
the others might be okay, depending on your needs, and of couse there are
many that I have not had a chance to look at.

For more info, search Google for 'open source cms'.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--