Re: (FWD) Re: [seul-edu] Quiet time

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, jeff williams wrote:
> > In addition, I shall be teaching system administration to various "employees"
> > of KCI who can then use these skills when they are looking for other jobs.  To
> > me it sounds like a win-win deal.
> >

> I don't want to be pesimistic, nor make a bad joke with the bad
> situation of those people. But, teaching them Windows may be better
> for them. Anyway, you should focus on using Java, Postgress, javascript
> and CGI, and web page design. I fear that emacs and so other
> techie, yet unkown, proggies would not ease their career.
> Inside Linux, there're somethings that are more commercial than
> others, you should focus on those.

Greetings!

I'd really like to do such classes with the "indentured servants" of the state,
but living 200 miles from Topeka makes that difficult.  The head of State
Surplus, Mr. Steve Magee, works very hard to make sure the people know both
hardware and Windows.  He, too, wants to get them up to speed on Linux for he
sees a future there.

So far this project has cost the state less than $50, and that for the 10base-t
hubs for the network.  My time and the materials we are using are free.  The
computers in the demo project are subject to sale (and thus replacement) at any
time.

I agree, however, that we ought to be doing a lot more than just system
administration training.  But at least we have a start.

--
jeff williams - cfiaime@mpks.net
                    jbw9586@ksu.edu