Re: [seul-edu] [OT? Tech stuff] NIS and Windows 2k/XP

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Kevin Godby wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I hope this isn't too off-topic for this list.  I am trying to configure a
> Linux box to act as a central user authentication server (like NIS or a
> PDC).  Does anyone have any pointers to resources which explain how to set
> up the Linux side of things and also how to get these handful of Windows
> workstations to get username/password info from the Linux box?  (It'd be
> cool if the Mac servers could do this, too.)

You would have to use NIS between your unix systems, and then setup samba
(2.2.x or better yet TNG, if you don't mind the bleading edge) as a PDC.
We have this setup at corbett, and I can email you some of our configs if
you would like, though samba is rather well documented.

> Feel free to e-mail me privately if you think this is too off-topic for the
> list.

		Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder