Re: [seul-edu] [OT? Tech stuff] NIS and Windows 2k/XP

On Friday 21 June 2002 11:03 am, Kevin Godby wrote:

> I hope this isn't too off-topic for this list.  I am trying to configure a
> Linux box to act as a central user authentication server (like NIS or a
> PDC).  Does anyone have any pointers to resources which explain how to set
> up the Linux side of things and also how to get these handful of Windows
> workstations to get username/password info from the Linux box?  (It'd be
> cool if the Mac servers could do this, too.)

I've heard all kinds of good things about LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access

Protocol) and PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules), but I've never played
with either one of them myself.  Supposedly, there are now PAMs out there to

do just about anything with just about any kind of foreign operating system
out there.

Other than that, I have no knowledge to impart to you.  I would suggest the
good ol' Linux Documentation Project (domain name just changed -- look it up

in a search engine) and, of course, our dear friend Google.

Ken
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of
chains