RE: [seul-edu] Open Source Applications Certification

The problem becomes one of image or "branding".  LPI is distro independent
but any time you have to explain the significance of a certifying body, that
certification can be as much a liability as an advantage.  Proprietary is
becoming an evil word, and it shouldn't, as long as the company involved
maintains a respectable level of corporate responsibility.  Linux is Linux
at some point, and just understanding the basics is enough to get our
students in the door.  What concerns me is that "certification-mania" is
starting to be seen as a substitution for an education, and that's just sad.
If the pedagogical aspects of a given certification are solid, I could care
less if it's open source (not free!) or proprietary, I just think the
proprietary distributors are getting a return on their investment.