Re: [seul-edu] Home schooling question

If I might jump back into this discussion, one of the most important
pieces of software that we used in our own homeschooling efforts was
reading comprehension software.  If you check the
internet, you can see several examples.  We used a early Windows
product produced for home schoolers by Jostens (I believe Jostens still
produces a "Learning Lab" product for public schools).

Basically, the software presented 1-2 pages of text which were read by
the student at their own pace.  After reading the text, the student
was presented with several questions designed to test the student's
understanding of the concepts covered in the text.  In terms of
repetition, the student was required to achieve nearly a perfect score
(e.g., 95%) before moving on to the next set.  Early grades had a
strong phonics base (less comprehension - later grades
(junior-senior high school) required increasing abilities
in critical analysis of the texts.

The system worked - all of my students scored over 30 in the ACT
reading test.

I have often thought that a similar Open Source application would be
a wonderful addition to any curriculum, regardless of whether it was
used in a formal classroom setting or home school.  Any ideas or does
anyone know of similar Linux-based software?

John