Re: developing a K12 Linux distribution

I would much rather see an addon based system, rather then a full
distribution.  Most of us are already set in our distribution styles (I am
a slackware man, but I do have coworkers/friends that use
redhat/debian/suse/many others).  If it was in the form of RPM packages, or
similar (I could then convert the rpms to tgz for use on slackware, etc).
We have enough full distributions of linux to fill almost any need (corel
is now going to be doing one, etc).  One thing for you to look into is
StarOffice.  The school that I have been doing a lot of work for (donated
time, mostly) is going to be the first US school to license it.  It is $295
for a site license (all platforms covered, teacher take home as well, admin
use included, etc).  We have been using it with grades 3-5 (the K-2/3 is
are experimenting more with Xpaint and Netscape right now, the lab has only
been open 1-2 months).

						Harry