Re: developing a K12 Linux distribution

    I think the best course of action would not be to make your own
distribution but make a Software Suite.  There are plenty of good distributions
which are made by highly qualified Linux professionals who develop Linux as a
full time job, developing a distribution is complex, more complex than we
probably think.  Anyhow...do we really need to make a new distribution every
time we find a new use for linux?  I think the best idea is a software suite,
or just a robust add-on system.
    In my opinion this is how a software suite approach should be done:
1. The software suite should be compatible with all the big name Linux
distributions (RedHat, SuSE, Debian, Caldera, SlackWare....).
2.  Create an easy to navigate install-shield where the user can select which
packages they want installed.
    a.  It should be graphical and run in X-windows.
    b.  A KickStart install option so you can quickly install it on many
workstations.
    c.  Sorted software lists and each application should have a semi thorough
description
    d.  Documentation!!
3.  The software should be integrated within the desktop.  (Install-Shield can
do this), whether the user is running KDE or GNOME, the software should be
specifically installed so it takes complete advantage of these environments.
4.  The Software suite should contain more than just educational software.  it
should include various window managers (pre configured), desktop environments,
office packages, etc...
    The idea of a new distribution is very novel at first...but it would end up
being overkill.  You could probably accomplish the same thing by creating an
application to install and configure the system for you.  It is an interesting
idea...this will definitely be something to watch...

        Bradley Burnside  -  bradley@voyager.net