Re: converting VB programs (was Re: developing a K12 Linux distribution)

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Pete St. Onge wrote:
> would not have to use Excel to obtain those functions. Does anyone know
> of any such beasts which can be extended by adding simple user
> functions? Am trying to stay away from getting into program internals,

Well, most of the GNU apps are like that.  Mostly, they choose Scheme or
Tcl instead of VB.  That makes it very powerful but the learning curve is
steepish. (e.g. Gimp's scripting language is Scheme, Emacs' is emacs-lisp,
octave's is some Schemish thing (I think), etc).

The reason is because documentation on how to extend the Tcl interpreter
is easily found.  Also, several Scheme libraries exist, which can be
linked into your program (if you add the hooks), giving it the power of
Scheme interpretation.

Perhaps what you'd want to do is to come up with an X translator, which
spews out Scheme or Tcl and then pass the translated stuff to the Tcl or
Scheme interpreters?

Rhan.