Re: converting VB programs (was Re: developing a K12 Linux distribution)

Hi all,
     This discussion of converting VB to another language makes me
curious about something. VB is certainly a standalone language, but
subsets exist within common MS and other programs (Word, Excel) called
VBA (VB for Applications). One can build specialized functions within
these programming environments that the applications can use.
     I have some code to calculate diversity simple diversity indicies,
for instance, that folks can download (source code and all) and use. I
would love to port this to a completely OSS spreadsheet so that one
would not have to use Excel to obtain those functions. Does anyone know
of any such beasts which can be extended by adding simple user
functions? Am trying to stay away from getting into program internals,
as the people I am trying to reach (typically ecological scientists and
grad students) seldom have the time or the inclination to become
proficient in C, C++ in order to implement new functions.

     Thanks!

     Pete

--
Pete St. Onge - McGill U.  Limnology - Fun with Ropes & Buckets
pete@seul.org                  http://wwp.mirabilis.com/4322052