Re: converting VB programs (was Re: developing a K12 Linux distribution)

Pete St. Onge writes:

 >      I have some code to calculate diversity simple diversity indicies,
 > for instance, that folks can download (source code and all) and use. I
 > would love to port this to a completely OSS spreadsheet so that one
 > would not have to use Excel to obtain those functions.

You might want to check out SIAG (Scheme In A Grid). As the name
suggests, it has had a Scheme interface from the beginning, and the
latest version is also programmable in Python. Not being a big
spreadsheet user, I can't give you a very good evaluation of the
program, but I have found it usable and fairly stable (more so than
Gnumeric, although that may not be true for long). One of the nice
things about SIAG is that the author tries to integrate the program
with existing tools when possible (e.g. using Gnuplot to generate
graphs).

The URL is http://www.edu.stockholm.se/

Hope you find something that works for you.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido, Japan