Re: converting VB programs (was Re: developing a K12 Linux distribution)

Doug Loss wrote:

> I've been thinking about the whole idea of converting VB programs for
> Linux use, and I wonder if Perl/Tk is the best way to go about it.  I'm
> thinking that Python might be a better target language for the
> conversion.  Admittedly I'm not a Python expert, but from what I can see
> from a quick overview of Python literature it's designed to handle the
> same kind of things that VB is (primarily user interfaces and
> prototyping, right?).  In my copious spare time I'll try to learn about
> Python and see if this first, largely-uninformed opinion holds.

Could be, but I doubt it would make much of a difference.  I don't know
Python.

Heck, maybe the best target would be C/GTK...  would sure run faster
than VB that way....  but nah, that would cause problems translating VBA
Office macros.

KOffice allows macros in Python, so that would work well (I think).
Gnumeric allows macros in Perl, and maybe Python.  It would be *really*
sweet to have an Excel97 inporter in Gnumeric that called the VBA->Perl
translater for any macros in the file!

Anyway, for standalone apps, I highly doubt there'd be a difference.  Tk
is more or less the same in either language.  I'd choose the language
based more on how easily it could interface with other applications.