Re: converting VB programs (was Re: developing a K12 Linux distribution)

> That might make an even better case for a VB->Perl translater!  I
> believe Gnumeric will have Perl macro cabability.
     Actually, the code in question is really, REALLY simple, so it
shouldn't be so bad to Perl-ify it. If that is the case, then I see no
reason NOT to translate the stuff on the sGPL site to be able to use it.
I'm finally getting my hands on a workstation (okay, so its only a P100
but it'll do just fine for a first machine to play with), so I hope to
set up a bunch of GPL programs and try them out.

> Of course, it would be a pretty big project to write code to
> automatically convert references to all of Microshaft's objects to
> similar objects in GNU apps.  Could be done though.
     In my case, the most important part of my work involve database
connectivity. The JET libraries work well for this, and I suspect that
Perl's DB functionalities would work very well for this.

> I don't think I'd try this on my own, but if a project did it I
> might well contribute.
     Same goes here. I'm in the final phase of the thesis, so time is
not something I tend to have a lot of right now. But your email gives me
a lot of hope - it may be far simpler for me to take my research
activities to Linux than I previously thought. And that is good indeed.

     Cheers,

     Pete

--
Pete St. Onge - McGill U.  Limnology - Fun with Ropes & Buckets
pete@seul.org                  http://wwp.mirabilis.com/4322052