Re: SIF

Bruno Vernier wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 08:52:02AM -0800, Mike Goehring wrote:
>
> > Initiative will find an identity and be endorsed by everyone as the way to
> > reduce the redundancy. For it to succeed, however, another company would have
> > to host a SIF meeting in the immediate future.
>
> Here's an idea; what if you guys decided to create a open mailing list and
> work out the specs via internet only, meeting only when you need to formalize
> the approval process among yourselves?  There are many programmers out here on
> the internet who could field test the specs quickly on a variety of programs
> to make sure it passes the "reality check" test, and it would free you from
> the possibility of being taken for a ride.

And don't you know, that sounds a good deal like seul-edu!

> Heck! what stops you from putting your eggs in both baskets? I don't think
> you have an exclusivity contract with SIF.  :-)

Mike,

   We'd really enjoy having you or someone else from MistyCity as a
subscriber to seul-edu, just to see what we're working on and to help us
out.  We're trying to address perceived lacks in the available
applications for the Linux operating system, but in doing so we're
paying close attention to interoperability with other applications, not
necessarily Linux-based.  Bruno has done nearly all the work in
developing EDUML, but a number of our other subscribers are looking at
it and planning on working EDUML into their projects either as a native
data format or via converters.  We always welcome additions.

   It looks as though SIF will be covering similar ground.  However, I
suspect that given our internet existence we'll have a working protocol
quite a while before SIF does.  We don't want to be incompatible with
SIF just for incompatibility's sake, but I'm pretty sure that our people
won't be interested in slowing down development just to stay in step
with SIF.  We'd value your insight in what we're doing, and perhaps
you'd be able to gain something from _our_ discussions and work.

--
Doug Loss                 A life spent making mistakes is not only
Data Network Coordinator  more honorable, but more useful than a