Re: SIF

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 08:52:02AM -0800, Mike Goehring wrote:

>> I guess we are witnessing a culture clash :-)"
> I don't know if I would call it a "culture clash" between Educom IMS and
> the SIF Initiative. From Educom IMS' point of view, as witnessed in the
> January SIF meeting, they realize that they are global in nature, where SIF
> is currently only North America. They were at the meeting to let all of the
> vendors present know about how their ideas and SIF relate.

Thank you again, Mike, for your prompt, friendly and interesting response :-)

> Realize that every vendor I have spoken with is very interested in finding
> a way to reduce the redundancy in the educational system. Hopefully the SIF

This is good news :-)

> Initiative will find an identity and be endorsed by everyone as the way to
> reduce the redundancy. For it to succeed, however, another company would have
> to host a SIF meeting in the immediate future.

Here's an idea; what if you guys decided to create a open mailing list and
work out the specs via internet only, meeting only when you need to formalize
the approval process among yourselves?  There are many programmers out here on
the internet who could field test the specs quickly on a variety of programs
to make sure it passes the "reality check" test, and it would free you from
the possibility of being taken for a ride.

What if the "other company" you refer to were the "internet" itself :-)

Heck! what stops you from putting your eggs in both baskets? I don't think
you have an exclusivity contract with SIF.  :-)

In any case, thanks for helping us understand the context of SIF.

Bruno