Re: [seul-edu] Packaging seul-edu apps?

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> I have checked the Debian status of each package, listing the Location on
Thanks Ben, for your effort.

I have to check the description of the packages whether there is
something interesting for me especially.

>     03:  First_math	not packaged
>     04:  Free Physics	not packaged
May be I'l take both because I would feel fit for tha job as physicist ;-).

>     14:  MuPAD		not packaged	non-free license (even for free trial)
> 					so cannot go in Debian main.
> 					Listed in WNPP but no action on it
> 					for nearly 3 years! Christian Meder
> 					(christian.meder@utoronto.ca)
> 				        (997 Days in Creation)
That's a shame!  Unfortunately I have no time for this beast.

>     17:  PingoS-Tipptrainer
> 			not packaged
Now packaged and will be uploaded soon to unstable.

>     22:  xplanets	not packaged	Debian does have ssystem, though,
> 					which is a pretty slick solar
> 					system simulator.  I'm surprised
> 					it's not listed here.  (It's on
> 					Freshmeat, but categorized as
> 					"X11/Scientific Applications".
> 					Can Freshmeat enter an app into
> 					multiple categories?)
Hmmm, if I remember right there was an ITP for xplanets ...
If not I might look at it.

> Second, some of these are for school administrators, which puts them
> outside of Debian-Jr's mandate.
What does this mean?

> 	GPeriodic	packaged	/Packages/frozen/misc/gperiodic.html
> 					Debian's version looks rather
> 					old.  Current is 1.2.6, but Debian
> 					only has 1.1.1
Shouldn't we file a bug report "old version" against the package?

> 	KTeacher	not packaged	due to ongoing KDE license issues,
> 					Debian may not be able to include
> 					this (and it's for teachers, not
> 					for children, so not likely to
> 					interest Debian-Jr anyway)
If we try to get our foot into the door of schools we should think
about such things as well.

> 	The Open Book Project
> 			not packaged	we don't package Project Gutenberg
> 					either.  it's just too big, and
> 					it's easier to just direct people
> 					to Gutenberg itself and download
> 					the texts from there.
Probably it could go into the new build data section of Debian.
Anyway it is very interesting especially for people with poor
bandwidth.  In most cases will children belong to this group.

> So there's my start at it.  I'll do the same with kidsgames shortly, and
> also linuxforkids, and post these lists to the Debian-Jr page as I have
> time to format them.
That's nice.

> not be as grandiose a plan as I have suggested -- simply something to save
> the Debian-Jr developers some time & help keep things organized, and at
> the same time might also be useful to other distros/projects.
Thanks for your effort.

By the way I noticed thet there is an entry in the Debian menu
system under
   Apps/Educational
which lists "Arithmetic Quiz" from bdsgames.  I decided to place
tipptrainer on the same location, but got a lintian warning:

W: tipptrainer: menu-item-creates-new-section Apps/Educational /usr/lib/menu/tipptrainer:2

I ignored this because I think it is the right location in the first
atempt, but we should think about a reasonable menu structure.

May be we introduce

   Debian-Jr/Games
   Debian-Jr/Education

etc.  This has the drawback that many games has to be listed twice
but the advantage that children might find their stuff more quickly.

Kind regards

        Andreas.