Re: [seul-edu] Cooperation

Chris Ellec wrote:

> Doug, is that something we  should be doing in general with the other titles (on
> SEUL/edu and LinuxForKids) ? I usually prefer to get the tarballs myself and
> compile everything. Also I don't want to force people to use RedHat to benefit from
> my site, so I figured it was better to stay unbiased and just provide tarballs.
>
> On the other hand, if Debian-jr is doing .deb packages, that would be an
> alternative.

I think it would be a good idea to make everything we can available in
RPM, DEB, and tgz formats.  I don't know that we need to bother with
other packaging systems like SLP, as I doubt they have (or will ever
get) many users.  Having said that, we need to find some regular process
for getting these binary packages made.  Are there any projects out
there that will take submitted applications and package them on one or
more binary formats?  Ben, as I understand it Debian has a group that
pretty much does exactly this.  Is that correct?  For RPMs, I don't
know.  If you use rpmfind to look up RPMs, you'll see that most of them
have been packaged by RedHat, S.u.S.E., or Mandrake.  Philippe, do you
know anymore about this than me?  Is there somewhere we can request to
have our apps packaged, or do we have to "roll our own?"

If we _do_ have to do it ourselves, we should probably try to coordinate
with other SEUL groups and see if we can develop some regular procedure
that we can at least use internally.

--
Doug Loss                 Even if you're on the right track,
Data Network Coordinator  you'll get run over if you just