Re: [seul-edu] Cooperation

Hi there!
I see that Mandrake is concerned in the former mails of Chris and Doug.

> I think it would be a good idea to make everything we can available in
> RPM, DEB, and tgz formats.  I don't know that we need to bother with
> other packaging systems like SLP, as I doubt they have (or will ever
> get) many users.  Having said that, we need to find some regular process
> for getting these binary packages made.  Are there any projects out
> there that will take submitted applications and package them on one or
> more binary formats?  Ben, as I understand it Debian has a group that
> pretty much does exactly this.  Is that correct?  For RPMs, I don't
> know.  If you use rpmfind to look up RPMs, you'll see that most of them
> have been packaged by RedHat, S.u.S.E., or Mandrake.  Philippe, do you
> know anymore about this than me?  Is there somewhere we can request to
> have our apps packaged, or do we have to "roll our own?"

About the rpm files, there are two sites I've been using to get either
rpm or tarballs for us to compile for the Education distro I'm currently
working on. I think both of them are quite good and I'm almost sure you
already know them but I'll give the url just in case one of you didn't
know about them:

(Mirror of)  SAL (Scientific Application for Linux)
http://www-sor.inria.fr/mirrors/sal/index.shtml

and the excellent site of the rpmfind that lets you which release is
available and for which hardware and eventually which distro
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/

In order to get rpm done, I must say that the person in charge of it
receives several dozens applications a day and can't do the "rmpizing"
for all of them. Generally he guides the people interested in having
their soft included in the Mandrake distro to our web site where
indications on how to compile the "mandrake way". The exact url to go
straight forward to the correct page is the following:
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/frpmapps.php3
If your package is already made under a debian format, you can still
drop him a line about it so that we can perhaps use it ('cause from what
I understood it is easier to convert it to an rpm format than to do it
from a tarball).
To submit new utilities or applications, send a mail to:
lenny@mandrakesoft.com
Please don't pu his mail under assault asking him to work on the
creation of hundreds of "rmpization"; he'd kill me for that ;-)

Before droping him a line please check that the soft is not already done
in our distro (check website).
I hope I've answered you're questions.

Linuxely yours
--