Re: [seul-edu] Young Linuxers - Too hard? No way!

Bill Tihen -- TECHNOLOGY wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think this is an excellent idea.  I will add an
> advocacy section to the docs site.  Please feel free to
> write some advocacy materials.
>
> Bill
>
> Quoting Doug Loss <dloss@suscom.net>:
>
> > Karl wrote:
> >
> > > These 'case-studies' alone, (even just 5 or 10
> surveys from students
> > > around the US who are involved in setting up the
> YHSLUG linux-lab, and
> > > others like it) would prove to be invaluable
> presentation materials in
> > > pushing linux-solutions to other K12 schools. Along
> with student essays
> > on
> > > how linux has helped their education (etc) their
> teachers/metnors can
> > > submit results of how open source has enhanced their
> learning curve, or
> > > taught them to work well with others, taught the
> research skills, job
> > > skills, etc etc etc.
> >
> > > This also means that there is a lot of work to be
> done, at least from my
> > > point of view. It means that those of us who are
> interested, and have the
> > > time/initiative/energy to help gather these
> results/case-studies need to
> > > come together, and post our findings, and
> collections of opinons and
> > > proven case-studies.
> > >
> > > I hope that anyone who wants to work together on
> this, or knows of a
> > group
> > > already working on this education-advocacy-how-to
> (similar to Doug Loss'
> > > commercial-port-advocacy-how-to), gets in touch with
> me.
> >
> > This is exactly in line with the SEUL/edu
> documentation project.  Karl, you
> > should
> > contact Bill Tihen about his SEUL/edu documentation
> guide, which will
> > eventually be a
> > writer's guide for this kind of thing.  I'm sure he'll
> be supportive of
> > your efforts and
> > will have some useful insights to give.
> >
> > --
> > Doug Loss                 Even if you're on the right
> track,
> > Data Network Coordinator  you'll get run over if you
> just
> > Bloomsburg University     sit there.
> > dloss@bloomu.edu                Will Rogers

> TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
> Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
> <http://www.tasis.ch/>

Doug:

I am already in contact with Justin, student leader of the Yorktown High
School LUG and plan to do an article for LinuxMall.com.  Is there
anything in particular you would like to see covered?  I intended to to
bios + Linux backgrounds on the kids, a history of the group, an
overview of their objectives and accomplishments so far.  I also intend
to include questions about their support system; parents, teachers,
school funding, donations and the like.

If you or Bill Tihen (mentioned in the above message) would like to get
back to me with a writer's guide, I would certainly include those
guidelines within the context of the interview.

The article can be linked to seul-org, this list and anyplace else you
would like once it's done.  Would appreciate any suggestions from you; I
want this piece to have a lot of impact.

Many Thanks,

Michelle L. Head
--
                Michelle Head  :  Michellh@LinuxMall.com