Re: [seul-edu] Re: Easy to use educational software

At 12:38 PM 3/22/2002, you wrote:
> > > I agree: RPMs are often difficult to use (especially after using easier
> > > NetBSD and Debian packages).
>
> > Look at Conectiva's APT-RPM port (conectiva.com.br).  And yes,
> > you can get distro backed with apt and nice ironed-out rpm
> > repository at altlinux.com, too :)
>
>   I concur that Conectiva has been the easiest Linux distro to install
>  and maintain. This is from my experiences with Slackware, Redhat, Suse,
>  Mandrake, TurboLinux, Debian, Corel, Conectiva, FreeBSD, et al.
>Conectiva's RPM/apt system is very easy to use, at least as easy as Debian's.

[snip]

One thing you might consider, since most of the Linux world uses RPM in
some form (fewer use tarballs relatively speaking), is to check out the
book "Maximum RPM" by Edward C. Bailey, SAMS publishing, ISBN
0-672-31105-4.  This is THE book for those who want to understand RPM, why
it exists, and how it works.  The first 100 pages will allow the reader to
become a RPM expert at the user level, the remainder of the book is for
developers.  It runs around $35.00.

Steve