Re: EDU Win Lab

On Sun, 9 May 1999 sabecon@sabecon.hiline.net wrote:

> > I have been able to show the lab tech at this school how to do basic
> > things, like ssh into a system, do a killall -9 soffice.bin when students
> > try to open star office 18 times ( have you ever seen a linux box with a
> > load over 50?  try opening star office 18 times, in one go).
>
> One solution is to have scripts that load up the applications.  Each would
> look to see if the application were already running and not run if already
> going. Dont run kpanel or the gnome panel  on the guest accounts.  Just
> have desktop icons or window manager menu's that are set for allowed
> programs and make everything read only.

We have tried some scripts, that is one thing I did not put on my "list"
that really is on it.  We ran into a problem with netscape not closing, so
I am adding a killall -9 netscape to the system profile (might need to do
that into a script for this one, since it would have been started by a
differnt usser that the one that would be loging in).  We ran into
problems with our scripts for star office.  I am going to have to do some
more work on that.  I think you are right, removing the Kpannel would help
a lot.  Do you know of any RC file settings to remove things like "right
click, desktop properties" in KDE?

> If they can get around that kind of protection, they are ready for some
> more detailed instruction and guidance.
> As the students gain profeciency, a reward of a user account could follow.

All students will have an individual user account, for storage of files,
and to clean up my logging (and to stop anyoing the NFS server).

I also need to impliment NTP over the summer.  Unfortunatly the district
does not have a time server, and just to get to the 'net is about 6 hops.
I might need to look into getting an RS232 radio time source.

 > David Kirtley

		Harry