RE: [Fwd: [seul-edu] Samba and printing]

I talked to the sys admin here, the box needs to be a print spooler for all
60 Deskjet printers connected via parallel port to the local workstations.
He currently has a Win NT box that acts as print spooler and file server,
however, when  large numbers of teachers go to print at one time he says it
bogs the server way down and he wants to offload the task to a dedicated
print spooler.  I asked him why he just did not use the individual
workstations as print spoolers for the printer attached to them and he says
that in a Windows NT network a print job automatically gets spolled on a
central print spooler (is this right)?????????  That sounds pretty
inefficient to me.  He would like to know if Linux can handle the job better
and more efficiently than a dedicated Windows NT print server.  The 'you can
aquire Linux for free' thing is not an issue here as the district has loads
of money for technology. He has been reading a lot lately about the
stability of Linux.  He is currently required by the district to reboot the
Windows NT server once per week to keep it running smoothly.

David Culp