Re: [seul-edu]why switch ? ( was Speech Recognition for Linux)

Yes you are right. I think it would be cheaper and better for new companies to invest in Linux rather than Windows. But the existing companies already have invested thousands, or maybe even millions on Windows and to all of a sudden switch is a big loss of money. Unless there is a very good reason to switch, they won't ditch Windows. Most of us here have been using Linux for a while and know this is a very excelent OS. But for the rest of the world, getting rid of their existing software just isn't practicle in all situations. Yet.

Kevin Brown.

jm wrote:

At 20:32 17/05/00 -0500, Kevin Brown wrote:

>Right now, the Linux desktops (KDE and GNOME) are quite equivelent to
>Windows. But really, why switch when they are about the same to get around
>in.

not to start a "My OS is better than yours" flamewar here but,

err Blue Screen of Death ?
err multi user ?
err Source Availability ?
err Don't want something, Don't have product forcing me to install it ?

and I don't talk about the "price"... when in a school the price of
software could have bought you two more PC, then you think the price is
important too.

I think paperclip and voice rec are great. Just my idea of a computer is
not a "typewriter" or a "game console".
A computer is supposed to have the user, any user, be able to "create"
something with it.

I guess a reason to move from win9x to Linux would be something like
"Hypercard" and "mac paint" when the mac started...

I don't really think there a zillions of people liking the paperclip and
enjoying Office because of it.
Because as soon as you NEED "him", and ask "him" a question and that the
answer is tremendously not adequate, and the help file is just plain old
technical blabla... then you realize, as you wrote that the paperclip is
just "to have some fun 5 minutes".

but I might be wrong.