Re: [seul-edu] hard times with Linux

Hi Oliver,

The hardware should have been able to easily run X with KDE, but I know the
frustration of trying to get something new ready for production when you
don't have much time.

If you have a spare machine, it would be helpful to use it as a personal lab
machine.  Try doing the installs until you know what the limits of the box
are, and don't be afraid to format the drive and start fresh. Once you have
a basic linux install running, then try adding basic network functions so
it can talk to your existing machines. Once that is working well, try sharing
a some linux directories out via samba for the MS machines to read.
www.linuxdoc.org has many howto's and mini-howto's that would be helpful as you
learn.

It will take some time, but you won't be so frustrated with the learning curve.
I do this for a living, and I still get stumped. I'm quite frustrated by trying
to get some linux machines to live happily in an existing unix network.
Apparently our Sun servers are using some automounter share types that are not
well supported by linux. Unfortunately, with increased capability comes
increased complexity, and the learning curve marches on :-)

Joel Eland