RE: [seul-edu] ISO & documentation...

Title: RE: [seul-edu] ISO & documentation...

Sounds good to me...

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen C. Daukas
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Sent: 5/1/02 12:58 PM
Subject: [seul-edu] ISO & documentation...

At 11:57 AM 4/26/2002, Doug wrote:
>"Stephen C. Daukas" wrote:
>
> > We should put together a structure for tracking feedback from the
> > participant teachers, as well as techies, etc., etc.  We could use
CVS for

[snip]

>This sounds like a good direction to pursue.  SEUL has a robust CVS
setup,
>along

[snip]

So, I'm back and have caught-up on a number of things.  I have read a
lot
of the postings on the list (had to ferret out the stuff pertinent to
the
ISO effort) and am wondering what behind-the-scenes logistics has taken
place...

Is there a list of who is doing what?  Any ideas on what the CVS
structure
should look like?  Anyone make any progress on an installer (I thought I

saw someone asking Blue Tooth about this)?  Do we think there will be
development, or do we think there is enough already out there that this
becomes a packaging issue only?

My questions may be premature (and you don't have to answer each one),
but
I want to get an idea of where to jump in and when.  Also, my new school

(where I'm teaching an elective) ends in just a couple of weeks (college

schedule), so if I am to try to get local resources for development,
etc.,
then I need to move on this quickly.

I had a thought regarding being distro-neutral...

I think we could get along very well with a killer HOW-TO for education
that addresses system administration issues, etc., with suggested
configuration options for small, medium, and large scale schools.  We
should also include instructions for using the bundled educational
software
(whatever that ends up being) in each of those three settings.

What made me think of this is the work I've done in teaching a Linux
Course
this term.  I based the course on several sources of information from
those
who have done this before (thanks again!).  I decided to make things a
little more "vanilla" and essentially walk the students through an
install
and configuration, step by step, so that each would have a working
network
when finished with the course.  We now have several machines set-up as
servers running everything you would expect from an ISP, and the kids
are
having a ball!

This has not gone unnoticed and a few folks have made comments along the

lines of "gee, if they can build a functioning network in just 8
classes,
we ought to be able to put together a system that suits our needs.
Maybe
the kids can help?"

Given the success of the class is completely based on walking through
existing documentation (books, HOW-TOs, etc.), might it seem plausible
explore this route?

Steve