Re: [seul-edu] Students can access Principal's files!

On 1 May 2002 at 8:57, Robert Maynord wrote:
> I have close to 70 machines running on our school network now -
almost
> all Linux.  Students log in with NIS, and load their HOME
directories
>  with NFS.  The server is running Mandrake 8.0. All works fine,
except
> for one problem:  the server won't let me change permissions on
the HOME
> directories, and they are set to 755.  This means that all the
students
> can access the principal's HOME directory for viewing.  They can
also
> view each other's directories.  When I try to change permissions
on the
> HOME directories to 700 (as root) they stay changed for about 15
> minutes, and then change back!!!!
>
> I have tried disabling msec and it made no difference.  I have
also
> disabled cron - but no luck.  Something is auto-changing the
permissions.

> I have been looking for 2 weeks, but no luck.  Does anyone have a
clue
> as to what might be auto-setting my HOME directory permissions?

Hate to ask it, but I've gotta...

Are you sure you haven't been 0wn3d? You may want to check the
entries in /etc/passwd file for UID=root (usually 0) or GID=root
(also usually 0).

--
Kyle Hutson /  Director of Technology  / Rock Creek Schools:  USD323

smyle@rockcreekschools.org                              785-494-8591

Actually I am a laboratory mouse posing as an engineer as part of an

               elaborate plot to take over the world