Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Re: Request for critique of a MS

Hi:  To get to that point, we need to create or align with an
organization that has an interest in doing so. For example, Walmart
went against the tide, braced, I am sure, for action from M$ on the
issue of selling "naked PC's".  When the rest of the industry follows,
which will surely happen, as linux becomes accepted for it's ability
to be utilized by the "masses" without question or hesitation, M$ will
have to step up and try to squelch it.  In the case of schools
seriously considering using linux, we have M$ going after the source,
i.e., Donated Equipment.

Thus, the organization that has an interest in doing so, must
logically be residing in the Open Source, and nonprofit sector. Studio
For Recording, Inc., when successful in it's application for 501(c)(3)
status, is ideally positioned to take on this role. The primary reason
for this, lies with the organization's independence of M$, the
anticipation of providing large-scale community-based education
programs tied to local school districts, and logically, thereby,
providing resources for obtaining significant numbers of donated
computers for the various networks.

However, this is all a pipe-dream at this time. RedHat, Inc., is ready
and positioned to take on this role.  SuSE, Inc., is ready and
positioned to take on this role. As are other such organizations. I
think we should move forward with the official response, and then
pursue other leveraged actions designed to inform the General Public.
The official response acts as a vehicle for moving forward.  And, in
my opinion, a demo for schools to play with, represents an even more
important accomplishment, as the ISO developed here, in the near
future will make it possible to engage an all-out assault by providing
a uniform approach for LUG's and other Users' Groups to ramp up, and
get those demos in front of schools.

Thanks,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/
http://renotahoe.pm.org/

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--